Monday 2 October 2017

Marsaxlokk - Fishing Village in Malta ...(dont read if you dont like Fish Photos) :-)

My cousins took me to
 
 
Marsaxlokk 
 
which is a traditional fishing village in the South Eastern Region of Malta,
 The village’s name comes from
marsa, which means "port" and xlokk (which is pronounced "schlock")
which is the local name for south east.

The inhabitants of the village are called the Xlukkajri and are historically fishermen.

 
Marsaxlokk is a picturesque fishing village on the south-east side of Malta, it has an ancient history being the site of a Roman temple dedicated to the goddess Juno, but no ancient remains are visible. It is rare as a Maltese seaside village in that it has no modern buildings such as hotels spoiling it and none of the traditional housing has as of yet been destroyed to make way for prefab rental apartments.

On sundays there is a fish market where one can get the best fish available, a particular local favourite is the Lampuki(only when in season)


The Fish Market is amazing.

But it isn't only A Fish Market , it is
a market for everything.

Fruit and veg, jewellery, Maltese produce, clothes, Spices and many more delights.

My cousin , chose her Fish and her veg , asked the stallholders to keep it for her, to collect later!



Such an array of unusual Fish and Seafood.











 The sight of the traditional luzzu's (fishingboats built according to a design dating back to the Phoenicians) and the tranquil surroundings make this a very pleasant place to have lunch .





The only blemish on this near perfect picture is the powerplant that for some unfathomable reason had to be built on the side of the bay rather than out of sight in the next bay where the ultra modern cargo port is located.  What were they thinking ?  They have ruined another bay which is called Pretty Bay , it isn't Pretty anymore because of the huge Cargo Port they built there .. shame they could of used another side of the Island. Oh well  I enjoyed both places.

 

 I am sorry about the break in blogging , just going to
do it now and again.
 
♥♥♥♥♥

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmm I love fish markets. Fabulous photos. Keep well and I hope all is well in your world. Diane xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane , I knew you loved Fish markets and Fish :-) , YOu would definitely of loved it there, Stalls were really interesting . Happy you like the photos too. I will email you soon , I am good. Take care , love to you and Nigel xox

      Delete
  2. The fish looks fabulous, making my mouth water :-)

    Blogging breaks are OK, take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CherryPie ,, Happy to see a comment from you too :-) Another Fish lover , which is great. So different and interesting. Yes Blogging breaks are good , one week I think , I will carry on blogging and then I wonder but the break does us good. Hope all is well with you , Take care too. xox

      Delete
  3. Malta is on my dream list! I love octopus and all seagood, looks heavenly to me😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ola, How lovely to hear from you . I do hope you make it to Malta one day. This is where my father and his family all came from , so I am half Maltese :-) Another Seafood lover , I love Octopus too, . You will love it. Take care x

      Delete
  4. Malta is on my bucket list. My BIL just came back, looking forward to what he says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie lovely to see your comment 😊 I went to connect with my family .. and learn more about my dad and his family . 😊 love it.

      Delete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.