Thursday 10 September 2015

Salzburg and The Mirabell Gardens..

In June my lovely friend Linda and I
took a trip to Austria for the Austrian Grand Prix.
 
Before we arrived at our final destination, we had a few
detours. One being Salzburg.
 
I am going to start with Mirabell Gardens.

Several scenes from The Sound of Music were recorded here. Maria and the children sing 'Do-Re-Mi' while dancing around the horse fountain and using the steps as a musical scale.
 
 





 
Beautiful covered walk way and designed gardens.


 
 

 



 

Franz Joseph was born in the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, the oldest son of Archduke Franz Karl (the younger son of Holy Roman Emperor Francis II), and his wife Princess Sophie of Bavaria. Because his uncle, from 1835 the Emperor Ferdinand, was weak-minded, and his father unambitious and retiring, the young Archduke "Franzl" was brought up by his mother as a future Emperor with emphasis on devotion, responsibility and diligence. Franzl came to idolise his grandfather, der Gute Kaiser Franz, who had died shortly before the former's fifth birthday, as the ideal monarch. At the age of 13, young Archduke Franz started a career as a colonel in the Austrian army. From that point onward, his fashion was dictated by army style and for the rest of his life he normally wore the uniform of a military officer.[3]

 
 
Sorry don't know who this female is , ..
Love the Statue.
 






 
The famous Mirabell Gardens were redesigned around 1690 under Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf von Thun to plans by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach and completely remodeled around 1730 by Franz Anton Danreiter. The Pegasus Fountain, a work by Kaspar Gras from Innsbruck, was installed in 1913. The four groups of statues around the fountain were sculpted by Ottavio Mosto (1690) and symbolize the 4 elements: fire, air, earth and water. The Mirabell Gardens were opened to the public by Emperor Franz Joseph in 1854. Today they are a horticultural masterpiece and popular backdrop for photographers.
 
We had a lovely walk round these beautiful gardens and then saw more of Salzburg.
It is a fabulous place.
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Anne. I was reading the blog earlier when my computer decided to do a shut down...grrrr, I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the gardens are really well-maintained. I also loked the femine statute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photography Anne, I've been to Austria but didn't get to Salzburg, It's a wonderful country with breath taking scenery.
    I recognise the scenes from The Sound of Music as I went to see the movie five times, I also have the DVD!
    Just a bit of a fan! My favourite musical apart from Les`Miserables`,
    Glad you enjoyed Austria.
    love Di xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is many years since I was last in Austria and I thoroughly enjoyed this virtual trip, thanks for sharing Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to Austria, so I also enjoyed this virtual tour! I loved the female statue as well. Gay abandon sprang to mind! Beautiful photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    Thank you for sharing these photos of your wonderful trip. I have never been to Austria. I have seen the "Sissi the Empress" films ( old films from the 1960's) that show Schönbrunn palace.
    Hoping that the GP race was exciting, too!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post,photos and well researched. A lot of time and effort I can see went into this. How I would love to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post Anne well done and lots of info. I love the flying horse. Hope all is well take care Diane xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salzburg is one of my favorite places. Beautiful there. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh how I love Salzburg. The chocolate and the pastries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.